29 May 2006

Kids!

Today, Sue and I were in the Dartmouth Bookstore, and a kid, probably about 14-15, approached me, looking for donations to a charity for Darfur. I gave him a few bucks, because he did have fliers for the charity.

I've seen other kids on the street up here, asking for money for a variety of charities. It's an interesting way to get money, to just ask people on the street, without even a table set up with info, or any other "normal" charity activities, like a bake sale or other things.

I don't think the kids were lying about it at all, but it does seem like an odd way of raising money. I'm kind of surprised the people who run the bookstore allow solicitation like that in the store... Or perhaps they don't, and the kid was just getting away with something.

Ah well, whatever the deal is, I'm only out a few bucks, and who knows, it *might* actually go to charity.

NP: Robert Fripp and the League of Crafty Guitarists - A Connecticut Yankee in the Court of King Arthur

2 comments:

Louie said...

You know, there are these kids who either beg for money or sell candy bars on the subway here in NYC. They walk around saying that they are only doing this to "make money for themselves." They make it clear that they aren't looking for money for any charity or their softball team or anything like that. It's just for them. Of course, I just turn around and look the other way :)

Anonymous said...

Panhandlers. I hates them all.