21 July 2006

Comments!

So, when someone replies to something in the comments section, sometimes I reply in the comment section also. However, then I don't know if the reader ever goes back to check if there's a response to their comment.

I know I get an e-mail when someone comments on my blog. Do you get an e-mail if someone comments on your comment? I don't think so...

With that said, Mr. Brian commented yesterday:

I don't remember the music from that last bit. I've only seen the movie two or three times, I think. I feel like I may give it a screening soon, in the wake of CLERKS 2 Mooby madness =)Do you remember hitting CLERKS in Red Bank? Was that us? With some of the old school usual suspects?

I feel like I was working hard at trying to convince a few of our posse that they were watching Goodness. Okay, a bit raw, low-budge, aesthetically, not-so-pleasing, one-note acted Goodness, but Goodness nevertheless.

Independent contractors on the Death Star! C'mon!

I can confirm for you, Brian, that in fact, I was at that screening at Red Bank. We were with Geoff and Alex (Geoff, do you read this at all?). I seem to remember them both generally being okay with the movie, but they didn't enjoy it as much as we did. I think Alex was ranking on the acting in the film.

Now, you and I saw Clerks first up in Boston, at the BU theater, with Stephanie Gaus. She *really* didn't get the movie, but you and I ate it up.

We were even two of the lucky few who saw Mallrats *opening night* in Boston, whenever that came out. And I know we saw Chasing Amy together, although I may have been in grad school at the time...

If you watch Chasing Amy again (do you own it?), you'll recall the music when you hear it...

And, season 2 of BSG should be arriving soon from Netflix, so I'll be all caught up. I did see the second half of the Season 2 finale when it was shown, so it's kind of interesting, knowing where the show is headed, but not seeing the details in between yet. Fun stuff.

In other news, I went down to Trenton today to do some genealogy stuff. I confirmed the discovery of another sister for my Great-great-great Grandfather, Richard Coulson. He had a sister named Martha (after their maternal grandmother), who was born in 1829 or 1830 in Ireland, and married a guy named John Jameson. They all immigrated to the US, and lived in Jersey City (a few blocks from here) in the latter part of the 19th century.

If there's any Jameson descendants out there, feel free to drop a line! John and Martha had three kids, Samuel, Sarah, and Martha. It appears that Samuel probably died before having kids, but Sarah married a guy named Agustus (correct spelling) Harper, and Martha may have married a guy named James Kay. I still need to confirm that Kay connection.

NP: King Crimson - Soundscapes 1 July 1995

3 comments:

cabinboy said...

Alas, I do not currently own AMY, and have been torn recently on whether to cave in and pick up the Criterion version or wait for the (now delayed?) "Collector's Edition" release...

If you do some digging, at the link to CHASING AMY within ViewAskew, there's a "build your own CHASING AMY soundtrack" page, where Kevin Smith lists all the music that was used in the film but couldn't be released on a soundtrack album cuz of some f'd up Jersey Rockerboy comedy of errors. Not sure if he identifies that particular tune, but you'll probably know as soon as you scan the list.

THANKS for keeping my missing memories, Mike. I remember seeing it first at BU, and then being kind of excited to share it with our Jersey brothers (was DVA not in that posse?), and then being a little mystified at the apparent hohum reaction. Maybe I'd pitched it too hard at them before going in? Maybe not BASKET CASE hard, but y'know, raised the bar a little high for a low-budget black-n-white indie pic from a QuickStop in Leonardo, NJ, heh.

I do love me some MALLRATS!

As well as some CLERKS 2! I'm planning on seeing it again on Tuesday. =)

Also, thanks for the... umm... *explicit* post of a response to my comment.

I'm not even supposed to BE here today!

zorknapp said...

I have the Criterion version, and it's well worth picking up. I haven't heard any details about a new version of CA on DVD, so just pick it up already!

The piece of music I'm talking about wasn't a song, it was something written specifically for the film, and it's not anywhere released, unfortunately...

Hmm, VanArsdale may have been there, now that you mention it. Was that the evening that afterwards, we all ended up at your place, and you gave DiMasi his yearbook back?

I think we were both a bit taken aback with the less than excited reaction. I don't think you would have overpitched it in that heavy-handed a manner. Generally, I would have backed you up on whatever you said with it, as I thought it was great also, so that should have been a confirmation. I think perhaps it just wasn't their thing...

And I'm glad that you and I, at least, can have a laugh over BASKET CASE... Is that out on DVD yet?

Anonymous said...

Sorry to jump in so late, but...

I just discovered your blog... and so now I can say that I have read this post! (since you asked.)

As to Clerks... I have very mixed feelings about the film. I do remember really enjoying the experience of watching it in Red Bank with you guys.

However, I find pretty much all of Kevin Smith's dialogue to be over-written and much like the way I would have written a film if I did so when I was a sophomore in high school.

I do appreciate the localness of the film, for sure, but it would be nice if Smith learned about having emotion and information protrayed through other avenues besides dialogue