23 December 2006

Cookies!

Today, I made some of the Lord (although it may be Partridge or Nixon, I think Nixon family) traditional Christmas holiday cookies, merengue cookies. Very tasty stuff. And quite easy to make, although everyone thinks they're hard to make. It's just three egg whites, a ton of sugar, a bit of baking powder, some vanilla extract, and stick 'em in the oven. Easy peasy.

Well, there's a bit more to the prep than that, but I can't give all my baking secrets away, can I?

This is also about the 5 year mark of me doing research into my genealogy. Here's a status report, a "now" versus "then" (or actually, "then" vs. "now") list of how I've pushed the generations back in those years:

  • Lord: Before, I only knew to John Lord, my G3-GF. Now, I know to Robert Lord, my G4-GF. Not a great push, but oddly enough, the Lord line has been a tough nut to crack. Also, I know more about the Lang family, Jane Lang married John Lord

  • Sanecki: I was topping out at my great-grandfather, Josef Sanecki before, now I know to my G3-GF, Marcin Sanecki, from Poland.

  • Partridge: I knew to William Partridge, my G2-GF, and now I know to Thomas Partridge, my G5-GF. It's a bit of guesswork when it gets that far back in Ireland, but it's not bad.

  • Moskwa: I knew to Wojciech "George" Moskwa, my great-grandfather, and now I know his father's name, Anton Moskwa, and his wife, Annie Furgas. I'm not 100% on that last name spelling of Furgas, but that's what I'm going with for now, until I can get some real info from Poland on the Moskwa's.

  • Nixon: No direct relation to the President, thankfully! I knew to my G2-GF, Robert Nixon, and now I know to my G4-GF, Robert Nixon. There's a lot of repeat of names in those old families.

So, you get the picture. I also know of a whole bunch more last names in my direct genealogy that I didn't even know about when I started, including: Fegan, Smith, Zimna, Kawa, Flaga, Maslak, Drozd, Stachura, Dziki, Obuch, Zlotek, Ruszala, Kluska, Blackwood, Houston, Crawford, Lindsay, Dyer, Barr, Kirkwood, Gibb, Laird, Taylor, Fleming, Love, Rodger, Scott, Cunningham, McLeod, Rosebotham, Alderdice, Marcker, Hafner, and Shield.

I also know so much more about the offshoots of the family, I've gotten in touch with some great distant relations who are into genealogy, and have been happy to share info. I'm hoping in the new year to find some more connections, I'd really like to crack open some stuff on the Polish side, and get a bit further with the Lord name itself...

We shall see what the future holds.

NP: Bill Bruford's Earthworks - Forget Me Not

No comments: