20 September 2005

Exercise

So, I'm 34 years old, and I used to be fairly active. I mean, I was never a sports person, but I enjoyed gym in high school, I played tennis, and always enjoyed growing up by the beach, doing ocean activities like swimming, body surfing, and the like.

A few years ago, I got a cholesterol test during a regular physical, and it was rather high. Not over 300, but close. My options were to go on medication, or change my habits to include a better diet and exercise. I obviously chose the diet and exercise, as I'd like to avoid going on any type of medication for as long as possible.

With exercising, and not eating as much like a fat bastard as I used to, I managed to drop some weight, and also put my cholesterol in a much more reasonable range, a bit below 200. However, I really don't like exercise. I have a recumbent bike, and that works for me because I can read while using it. I try to do at least a half hour a day, and keep myself active in that manner.

I just finished about a half hour of exercise, and that's about as much of my life per day as I'm willing to devote to this kind of physical activity. I know other people who love exercise. My wife is one of them, and I just don't get it. But, more power to her, and others like her. But I won't join that club... I think they have enough members anyway...

No comments: