26 October 2005

Writing...

I just spent about 45 minutes writing the bass/melody for the song I've been working on. The music for the song is going to be more bass based, so I figured it would be good to listen to my guide vocal while playing along a bit. This ended up not working as well as I had hoped.

What I ended up doing was getting familiar with the vocal and keeping it in my head, while messing around on the bass, and finding the "right" notes to play along with what I was singing. I think I came up with a decent verse and chorus, but I'm not sold on the middle eight section yet musically. I think tomorrow, I may redo the recording I have, in order to get a more coherent demo to work with.

That's the great thing about the computer demo/home recording process, is that it's easy enough to start over, especially at this stage. Once I get a bass/vocal part down, I can start working on a midi drum part, or perhaps guitar or keys. I'll have to see what I'm in the mood for.

In the inane weather part of this blog, we had our first snowfall yesterday. Nothing that stuck around till today, but we did actually have accumulation, which is not necessarily normal for this point in the year. Winter is surely coming, as it does every year.

Sue and I went out to get some Halloween costume stuff for a party we're going to this Saturday. We're keeping it pretty basic. I think that it's best to keep these things simple, unless you have more time to work on something. I'd love to dress up as Londo from Babylon 5 at some point for a Halloween costume, but that would require a lot of work. I did think for a bit of being Buster or Gob from Arrested Development, but those would both be more high concept costumes/performances, and I'm not sure how many people would recognize the characters.

NP: Jeff Buckley, Dink's Song

No comments: