29 October 2005

Saw...

There's plenty of opportunity for puns here, but I watched the film "Saw" on DVD today over at a co-workers apartment. Not a bad movie in the horror/suspense/thriller genre, although I thought the film lost it a bit at the end. Some good scares in it, which always make me laugh more than anything else.

Am I sick for finding humor in "scary" movies? I just think the situations are usually so outlandish that there's plenty of opportunity for humor, even when the action is played straight. That's what I liked so much about "Evil Dead II," it was a horror movie that realized there's a lot of humor to be had in the situations. Not that EDII was the first example of this, but it was the first one that came into my orbit.

Of course, for pure suspense, I always enjoyed John Carpenter's "The Thing." There's something about a situation of isolation and fear that just works for me in that movie.

Tomorrow, Sue and I are going to a Halloween party of a friend/co-worker. It should be fun, I've never been to this person's house, and it's always neat to see where other people live. We're just doing some basic makeup/bolts through our head as a costume, neither one of us were too energized to create a costume. If I'm going to create something for Halloween or another event, I would have to start quite a bit earlier. I believe I mentioned my Londo idea here before.

Am I already starting to repeat myself here? Sad...

NP: Delius, Violin Concerto

2 comments:

Jen said...

Well, Saw scared me out of my mind, but not quite as much as the few minutes of this Czech film called "little Otik"

Ayway, this time of year, I am always reminded of the Lord/Pomerantz/Dunn Halloween film festival (Animal House/Night of the Living Dead).

zorknapp said...

We're showing some movies tomorrow in the common space of my buildings in the evenings, I thought about putting on Night Of the Living Dead again... Always a good choice!