28 December 2005

The Inkwell

While at home, my good friend Brian and I went to one of our favorite high school haunts, the Inkwell, located in Long Branch/West End, NJ.

While in high school, once I could drive, it was not uncommon during our senior year, for Brian and I to find our way to the Inkwell almost every night of the week. It's a coffee house, with basic food, almost like a diner for the younger crowd. Perhaps even the hip crowd, although whether we could be counted amongst that group, only others could be the judge of.

Brian and I went there on Monday night, the 26th. It was honestly the first time we had both been there in years, at least three or four. The inside was the way I remembered, although there was the addition of some vintage video game units in two of the rooms. The burger I had was tasty.

The best Inkwell story from yesteryear I have is the time I was there with Brian and our friend Brad Factor (yes, that's really his name). I wasn't terribly hungry, so I ordered rye toast. When our orders came out, my toast was a tad undercooked. Meaning, it hadn't been toasted at all. This struck Brian and Brad both as very comical, and much hilarity ensued, especially when I had to ask the waitress to bring the bread back to have it toasted properly.

I had never been served raw toast before. In a restaraunt.

Another time, Brian and I were there, and we realized we had enough money for our bill, but not for a tip. We didn't know what to do, until one of us realized we had a coupon for a free sub at Jersey Mike's in our pocket. We debated for awhile if it would be more insulting to leave the coupon in lieu of a tip, or to just leave nothing. We ended up leaving the coupon, and we never saw that waitress again. I think we might have been the last straw for her.

We didn't see any of the same waitresses there from our heyday. Not even the raw toast girl, or the coupon tip girl...

The Inkwell does have a website, but I didn't get the address, and I can't seem to find it on Google. Once I get it from Brian, I'm sure the link will find its way up here.

NP: Swanky Modes, Ordinary Man

1 comment:

cabinboy said...

I'm pretty certain it's http://www.inkwellcoffee.com - but I'm not able to get that address to resolve/load right now. Bleah.

Ah, the Inkwell... I'll have the charcoal burger basket with a diet coke and water.

I missed the freaky paintings from the old days. There was a large portrait of a woman with her hair tied back w a scarf, and the half of her face in darkness all... weird... w like a spooky orb for an eye... And that one w the extra long dinner table on some desert at twilight... and of course, the loaf of bread and the jugs of wine...