07 December 2006

Link!

You know, I'm a fairly open, friendly person. Sometimes though, someone just rubs me the wrong way, and I never really get close to people who are friends of friends, or people I see on a semi-regular basis. Sometimes it's just personality differences, or generally, I don't see a need to try to get to know someone.

I have some friends from college who I'm close to, and in that circle, there's one or two people who I never really initiate any contact with. However, one of those people, over time, has gotten to be not as annoying as they were when I first met them.

That sounds like they're still annoying now, but they're really not. I'm just operating on residual annoyance when I say that. The last few times I've seen this person, he actually hasn't been annoying at all. In fact, we've had some decent conversations, which is good. I like to like the people I hang out with, even if they're still not someone I'd initiate contact with on my own.

So, where is this all going? A few days ago, I noticed a link to this person's blog type site on one of my friend's blogs. I clicked on it, just to see what was up. After reviewing some of his writing, I noticed that this little blog was actually listed amongst the 4 or 5 other blogs of friends he had listed.

I was oddly touched by this. Here's someone who honestly, over the 12 years or so I've known him, I've barely given the time of day to (in my own way, never being actively nasty, just not really engaging in anything), who made the effort to put me on his blog. It may seem like a minor thing, but it did, again, make me rethink how I've been towards this person over the last years. I have been having better conversations with him over time, and this has made me think about how I do interact with people who I have tended to write off at different times of my life.

Granted, I'm honest enough with myself that I know we're not going to be best buddies or something, but I can approach our meetings with a different view now. So, in some way, perhaps me knowing this person who I thought I had no use for, has made me in a small way, a better person for having my own faults and assumptions reflected back on me.

So, there's your deepness for today. Enjoy!

In other news, I got my first photo Christmas card of this season in the mail today. I'll repeat my rant from last year, where I find it annoying that my friends who have kids, only send out photos of their kids in their cards, never of themselves! I enjoy that my friends have kids, but I want to see the kids *with* their parents! I know the parents better than I know the kids, and I want to see them all together. The one I got today was of the two kids outside, hanging out on a beach. It'd be easy enough to get the parents in the shot! Heck, just Photoshop them into the picture, it doesn't even have to be real!

I miss seeing my friends, and I'd at least like to see them in a photo, if not in real life!

So, parents, I plead with you! Include yourself in your photos! Your kids are great, I'm sure, but I want to see you all in one photo! Or, it's easy enough with these photo cards nowadays to have multiple shots on the card. That's what Sue and I did (watch your mailboxes, folks!), and it's great! Have a big shot of the kids, make it the main one, and put a little one of the parents on the side. If it's small enough, it'll hide the bags under your eyes from losing all that sleep from "the kids" keeping you up!

NP: Genesis - Your Own Special Way

2 comments:

Louie said...

Sorry dude... you're getting a photo of our baby this year. You really don't want to see my smiling face, do you? (If so... let me know. I'll stick an extra photo in the envelope for you).
I think a lot of it stems from these thoughts: "Our baby/child/dog/monkey wrapped in tin foil is the cutest thing we've ever seen. Of course everyone will want a holiday picture of him/her/it. Why would anyone want pictures of us? It's not like we were sending pictures out before we had the baby." Generally, the kids are the only reason you're sending a photo in the first place. Usually, that is. Anyway... like I said before - you're getting a picture of our kid.
And I see you also linked that other person's blog on your site. It must be the holiday season. :)

zorknapp said...

I of COURSE want to see the smiling faces of my friends and family! Sue and I are doing a photo card this year, and we don't have kids...

My boss was saying that she and her boyfriend talked about just putting their cats in their photo. I thought that would be funny, pretending that the cats were them...

And yes, it's the holiday season, and I'm being nice. It's a FESTIVUS MIRACLE!!!