25 February 2007

Books!

I finished the book I was reading, "The Ghost Map," by Steven Johnson. It's a book about a cholera epidemic in London in 1854, where it was finally discovered that cholera was transmitted through tainted water. Doesn't sound like much of a story, but Johnson does a good job of outlining the actual process of the individuals involved, which makes it a compelling story.

Like a lot of non-fiction books I read, I skimmed over the final chapter, as those chapters tend to be a lot of the author making modern relevance to the story told in the previous pages. What I read of the concluding chapter I enjoyed, but I can get the meat of it by picking and choosing what looks interesting to read.

So, I picked up the book that Brian mentioned in a previous blog post comment, Stephen King's "Cell." Starts right off with a bang, in Boston, and I'm already 100 pages into it. I like books where I actually know the locations the author is writing about. King sets the start of the book on Boyleston Street, right near the Boston Common. I thought, "Right near the Mister Softee ice cream truck," and what do you know, the truck gets a mention... Truth in writing, right there...

I may finish it before leaving for the Florida trip on Thursday, we shall see how quick of a read it is.

And it's snowing lightly outside, for you weather nerds out there...

1 comment:

cabinboy said...

It *is* a pretty zippy read. Of course, it's taking me a couple weeks, bleah. I've really gotta break out of this conditioning I'm in where I only crack open books on the T.

I originally read a teaser excerpt in Entertainment Weekly many moons ago and was hooked right then. The Boston setting is a fun bonus. This is the first new King I've read in years and I do so enjoy how his brain works. I'd love to see him do something sci-fi that's so sci-fi that it moves him from "horror" to "sci-fi" in the bookstore. So much of what I've read of him, and what I like from him, really springs from the science fiction of his stories, which is the catalyst for the fright and action.

See you later, man =)