11 April 2006

Haplogroup!

So, I mentioned awhile back about participating in the National Geographic's "Genographic" survey, using DNA markers to determine what haplogroup individuals are a part of, in order to trace human migration out of Africa tens of thousands of years ago.

I have particpated in this study, and with my DNA sample in hand, gotten by doing a cheek scraping (not in the least painful), I now know I am a member of haplogroup G, denoted by genetic marker M201 on the Y chromosome.

But, you are asking, what does this tell us?

From the Genographic website, Haplogroup G is a relatively rare haplogroup that is an offshoot of the common M89 marker, the second great migration out of Africa. G is only present in at most rankings of a few percent in most tested populations. G seems to have its origins in the Indus Valley of northern India sometime between 10,000 and 20,000 years ago. From there, little is known about the dispersal of Haplogroup G.

Now, the Y chromosome is received in toto from the father during conception. So, I have the same Y chromosome as my Dad, my brother, my Dad's brother, my Lord grandfather, great-grandfather, etc... And from my genealogy research, I know that the Lord name comes from Ireland as far back as 1820. So, there's a big gap from 10-20,000 years ago to the 1820's, where my ancestors got from northern India, to Ireland...

Fascinating, isn't it? Hopefully, as more people participate in this study, the Haplogroup G migration will become a bit more known... I'll be sure to share more as I learn about this. Fortunately, the Genographic website will be updated as they learn more.

NP: Episode I - The Arrival At Tatooine and The Flag Parade

6 comments:

Jen said...

I guess we're not related since I'm haplogroup V. You can submit your results to family tree DNA to get much moe information.

Anonymous said...

I thought Zorknapp was a being of indeterminent origin? I guess that's just one less mystery to solve in the universe.

Anonymous said...

Some historians are matching the G haplogroup occurances in Europe & western Asia to the movements of the Sarmation peoples. The 3 tribes of them include the Iazages, the Roxolaneans, & the Alans. They may have also have absorbed the Scythians. (for example, the Romans brought 5500 Sarmation heavy calvary to England as auxillary troops in the 1st century AD. They were known to have been there several hundred years, then no more mention after the Romans left.) Google Sarmation & read about them. Also look at Ray Banks site for G haplogroup. My son turned out to be a G.

Anonymous said...

how interesting that the Sarmation Review covers POLAND,,,and yet your G haplogroup comes from your father, not your mother,,,perhaps you are your own cousin,,,:-)

Anonymous said...

Y-DNA G haplogroup is not the same as mtDNA G haplogroup. Ray Bank's site is G Haplogroup in Europe. Sarmation Review is a scholarly magazine mostly devoted to current events. Some Polish people believe that they are descended from the Sarmations. Some may well be. However the largest percentage of G haplogroup in a population is the Ossetian people in the Caucasus, in the 30's percentile.

Anonymous said...

Hello Mike:

Congratulations on learning that you are a member of Haplogroup G, one of the rarest, most recent and poorly-understood additions to our species. You're finding the right sites (National Geographic Genographic Project and Ray Banks'), but have you also visited Whit Athey's?

http://home.comcast.net/~whitathey/indexg.htm

Ray, Whit and others do an admirable job of collecting the scientific, genealogical and historical information about our haplogroup for our review, but some members and I see the need to develop a "social network" where G's can meet other G's to learn more about what we have in common. To satisfy this need, I have launched a private online group using Yahoo! and am soliciting other members of our haplogroup to join.

Since you had your Y-DNA analyzed by the National Geographic Genographic Project, you may be interested to learn that an IBM Senior Vice President on that project is also a member of Haplogroup G.

http://ibm.com/vrm/tela/stp/gi_geno_USEN/103605934

I've forwarded an email to Mr. Horn to join our group. Similarly, I am contacting other members of our haplogroup via the public databases when their contact information is available. Obviously, my ability to contact G's is severely limited by privacy concerns, so I am relying on members of our haplogroup to refer other G's they know.

I had my Y-DNA analyzed not only by the Genographic Project, but also by Family Tree DNA and have posted my haplotype on the public Y-DNA databases. So far, I am exactly matched to three other G's at 12 markers and am waiting for FTDNA to take their analysis of my Y-DNA to 67 markers. I think it is remarkable that there are only four of us that match at 12 markers ... I may find myself in a "haplogroup of my own" at 67 markers!

Nonetheless, I am a G and so are you, so if you have interest in networking with others of your haplogroup, please reply by this email to my haplogroup_g@mac.com email account and I'll send you an invitation.
Regards,

Peter T. Christy