27 April 2006

Slogging!

I'm continuing to slog my way through my collection of old live or radio show tapes that I've collected over the years, converting them to MP3. I'm going to do a major push this weekend, while I'm on call, and possibly, I *may* be able to be totally done by the following weekend. I have 28 more tapes to convert, so I may be wildly optomistic on this front...

Right now, I'm converting Yes from the Orpheum in Boston, October 1997. It's a show I attended, but I did not do the tape myself. And of course, it being Yes in Boston, I attended the show with Brian. (The bass drum on this recording is very bassy... Ah well, bootlegs...)

I haven't mentioned recently what I'm reading, so away I go... I'm reading "Manhunt," by James Swanson, a book about John Wilkes Booth's assassination of Lincoln, and Booth's subsequent escape for 12 days. It's a fascinating read, as I didn't know much about Booth's escape, I just knew he was killed at a farm sometime after the assassination. The book is generally a good read, but there's a bit too much repetition in the narrative, and not enough referencing of places and dates. I know dates can be the death of a history book, but I love them, to keep track of the narrative in my head...

NP: Yes - Siberian Khatru - 18 Oct 1997

No comments: