07 June 2006

Confidential!

Scribbler, aka Baron, made a comment on my last blog about job searching, and keeping things quiet versus being open during a job search. I should probably talk a bit about what it's like doing a job search in this field, so that readers out there know context.

Now, I don't know if this is for everyone, or just me, but in general I'm very open about talking about looking for a job. First off, at least in this situation I'm in now, it's because I actually still like the job I'm in. I'm very open with the fact that I do enjoy my present job, and I'm not looking under a negative cloud. It's just that it's time to find some new challenges with work. If I do end up staying here for longer, I can find different challenges with my present job, but it's becoming tougher and tougher to do that, without people going, "Why don't you find a better job out there?"

I obviously tell my references/supervisors that I'm looking, and my immediate co-workers. Of course, friends and family hear about it in a different context. With colleagues who I don't work with in an immediate way, if they ask the question, I'm open about talking on the topic of my job search. And, I'm also willing to strategically let it drop in conversation, if I think it could help with my search in some way. That may sound a bit more scheming than I actually am, as it's more in reference to just being willing to accept an offer of advice from people with more experience.

This year, I've been a bit more open with students I work with about my search. If they ask the question, I'm willing to talk about it, with making it clear that if I don't find it, I do still like the job I'm in. If they think I'm not really invested in staying at Dartmouth, then why would they want to work with me? As I said before, fortunately, I don't have to pretend that I like my work, I do actually enjoy it!

So, that's the context I'm in, for my job search...

Questions?

NP: The Who - Behind Blue Eyes (3 Sept 1989)

1 comment:

Louie said...

You know, if you can get away with doing your job search out in the open, more power to you. It's better than having to keep it a secret. Besides, you have to cover up so many things in your personal life, it's nice to know you can at least do your job search in the open :)