09 November 2006

Election!

Ah, politics. It's so nice when things change, and we see the voice of the voters expressed so clearly.

I do have to say that, like many, I thought that the House would go Democrat this election. I thought there was a strong chance of the Senate going Democrat also, but was less willing to put myself out there with that possibility. Turns out I was right.

And, the country got a boost when Rumsfeld was resigned the day after the election. Now, what do you all think out there? Do you think that if Rumsfeld had left, lets say, a week before the election, it would have helped the Republicans at all? Personally, I think it would have, although there would have been talk of it being a political move. Which, of course, it would be.

I must imagine that there are some Republicans out there who are annoyed at the timing of the Rumsfeld decision, thinking that, like I say above, Rumsfeld departure could have been better timed for their electoral benefit.

Now, if the Republicans had held onto both houses of Congress, would Rumsfeld have been kept on?

While I'm happy that the Democrats now have Congress, I'm not expecting us to be out of Iraq tomorrow. What I do expect is that perhaps a bright light can be turned on the events of the past 4-6 years, so that we can begin to learn the truth about the Iraq debacle, and other various and sundry issues. I think we're in for some interesting times.

NP: Jon Anderson - Cafe

No comments: