01 November 2006

Vote!

Ah, November 1st, and thoughts turn to election day this coming November 7th (right?), and our upcoming mid-term elections. I encourage everyone out there to vote, no matter what your political persuasion...

Okay, I'd much prefer if all Republicans stayed home this coming Tuesday, but hey, I have to be equitable, right?

Well, it is my blog, so screw it...

Personally, I think it's important to vote in every election. I remember, in the November 1984 election, my grandfather was in the hospital, and wasn't able to vote. On the way to the hospital, the Saturday following the election, I recall my dad saying that Pop actually had some connections, and found out afterwards they could have got him an absentee ballot, so he wouldn't have missed out voting.

When we were in the hospital room, I mentioned this to Pop, and said something along the lines of, "Well, Reagan won, so missing your vote didn't really change the outcome, he didn't need your vote to win." Pop then looked at me, and said, "You always vote, no matter if you're sure your candidate will win. " I didn't argue with my Pop, so I have always thought that no matter what, you vote.

That was also the last time I saw him alive, as he died, surprisingly, that night in the hospital. He was 68 years old. His health was failing, so if he didn't pass away then, with hindsight, I don't know how much longer he would have lived, but I think that also makes it important for me to vote whenever I can.

Granted, I don't know if Pop would be happy with me voting Democrat most of the time, but you can't win them all. At least I'm voting!

My polling place here in Jersey City is within walking distance, so I'll probably go during lunch on Tuesday. It'll be fun, although there are less local races going on than I thought. It's really only the Senate and House race happening. No state or local candidates on the sample ballot I got. So, it should be pretty quick to get in and out and rock the vote...

In other news, I was glad to see my old friend Geoff make a comment here on the blog... I look forward to more comments!

NP: Queen - Keep Yourself Alive

No comments: