31 December 2006

Last!

Ah, the last day of the year... Where does the time go? Where does the time come from, that's really the better question.

Deep, eh?

Sue and I did our traditional pizza on the last day of the year, but instead of going to Pizza Hut, our normal place to go on this fake holiday, we decided to go to Pizzeria Uno's, to at least have some quality. It wasn't bad, but their pizza generally feels good before you eat it, and then when you're done, it's a bit much. But, it was fun.

Sue's asleep now, she's not really a night person. I'm still up, but not because of the new year, it's just because I'm generally up. I've never been that big into New Years as a holiday. I've had some good times on this night, for sure, but it's generally just an excuse to have a party. I say, just have the party!

Good new years are all in Boston, in general. For the Y2K event, my friend Bill had a party, that was fun. A few years before that, some of us did one of those, "Pay $85 for the entire evening, food and drink" events, that was fun also. When I was a kid, I never stayed up for new years. It wasn't until I was in my teens, I think, that I actually stayed awake for a transition into a new year. Looking back on it, I realize I should have been a bit more willing to stay up and do family stuff when I was little, but I can't change it, so there you have it.

I've been going through a collection of letters between my fraternal grandparents from during World War II, when my grandfather was in the Pacific. They wrote multiple letters to each other on a pretty close to daily basis, so it's a great look into their world of big events (the war), and little events (paying bills, working with money, etc). Also, my dad was a little boy of 1-2 years old, so there's lots of news of his early events, which is great to see.

I'm trying to not be too voyeuristic in reading these, as I realize that they didn't write these letters with the intention of them being read 60 years later. However, they were writing knowing that wartime censors would review the letters, at least the ones my grandfather sent, so that nothing too, well, "sensitive" is in the letters. Generally, I'm looking for mentions of other relatives, to see what the family relations were like, for my genealogy research. It's fun, but like I said, I'm approaching it with a fair level of respect for their privacy.

Tomorrow, we have no real plans, but then it's back to work on Tuesday. Ah well, all good things must come to an end. When can I retire?

NP: Moody Blues - House of Four Doors

No comments: