15 December 2006

Libary!

Yes, I misspelled it on purpose.

Tomorrow, I'll be heading to the Elizabeth Library to do some more genealogy research. For those of you who don't know, genealogy is one of my big hobbies, that I got into in late 2001, and have been addicted to ever since. On my dad's side, I've pushed various lines back into the mid-1700's, in Scotland. On my mom's side, I've pushed the dates back to the mid-early 1800's, which is impressive since I didn't know *anything* past my great-grandparents on that side at all when I started this.

My mission for tomorrow is to start going through the 1895 NJ Census, most likely in Jersey City, looking for direct ancestors with the last name of Coulson, and some side ancestors with the names of Jameson, Sutcliffe, and Graves. I'll also do some quick checks of newspapers in Elizabeth for some relatives on my mom's side, and some old city directory information.

It truly is an addiction, this work. I'll think of some side line of research to do, and just find a way of trying to track it down. If I could get paid regularly to do this, I'd probably seriously consider it as an option. But, genealogists generally aren't professional, although there are some certifying boards out there that allow you to be "professional." Perhaps some day I'll do that for fun...

Once I get my library fix done, probably between 12pm and 2pm tomorrow, Sue and I will figure out what to do with our time. We'll probably hit the movies at some point, and food shopping is in the future. Whatever else we do, it'll be fun and relaxing.

If any of you out there would like me to take a look at your background, let me know. I'm happy to do some preliminary digging, to see what's out there. It'll also get me thinking about how to track down leads of people that I don't know the family background of. I've learned a lot about my family since doing this, so I generally know which leads are more likely to pan out (although it's never a guarantee). With others, I'd have to figure out what questions to ask, what are the gaps that I'd need to fill, etc.

Could be fun...

NP: Nick's Eef & Be Ho - Jam on But Not Yours

PS-Nick's Eef & Be Ho was a band I was in post-college.

2 comments:

Jen said...

hey- when you are looking at the NJ stuff, any help on Pomerantz or Leist would be helpful. I'm just so full of time to look for all this stuff. (I have gotten pretty far, but not far enough). They're all in the Irvington area, so not too far from what you're researching!

cabinboy said...

Ah, Nick's! Finer dining by wall-mounted fake fireplace lighting, you'll find nowhere...