04 October 2005

The Aristocrats

I just got back from seeing the movie, "The Aristocrats," with one of my co-workers. It's a film about probably one of the dirtiest jokes ever told. It's an in crowd comedian thing, people looking to top each other in how elaborate, and quite frankly, gross the joke can get. If you're into comedy, and don't mind being offended, and/or hearing disgusting humor, then this film is for you.

I love comedy. I have a lot of comedy albums, that I enjoy listening to repeatedly (as long as the act is funny, of course). People have asked me how I can listen to the routines over again, when I know what the jokes are. For me, it's about the construction of the joke, the word choice, the pacing, the release, and all else that is involved with the telling of a great routine. This movie gets at that, in showing how different comedians put their spin, and analyze, this old vaudeville joke...

George Carlin's telling of the joke, perhaps because it's one of the first, or because I'm such a big Carlin fan, is one of the best. Gilbert Gottfried's is also fantastic. It's also told in mime, through a card trick, and in fake German. Go see this film!

On another track entirely, I have finally started my own personal presence on the web. It's pretty basic right now, with no content, but it will grow... Check it out.

Tomorrow, Joe J. and I will be doing our Alien Presentation here at Dartmouth in my old Residential Cluster. The fun never stops!

NP: The Daily Show

No comments: