07 October 2005

Late evening weekend

I've done some more work on the song that I've been writing. I got some more verse material, perhaps a chorus/middle eight, which is much like the verse, and some other ideas to develop. I'm going to make a pass at recording sung vocals tomorrow (Saturday) to give me a sense of melodic ideas for both the vocal line and possible music. If I can get some basic guitar backing, I'll probably record an acoustic demo.

I think this is turning into a mid tempo song. I'd be curious to see if I can make it into something a bit faster or rockier, but I don't know if that would be forcing it into shoes it can't wear. I'll fill you all in on how it goes after I do some recording tomorrow.

I bet you're wondering what I've been reading. I'm reading "Will In The World," a biography of Shakespeare by Stephen Greenblatt, a Harvard professor and an expert on Shakespeare. I'm about a quarter of the way through the book, and it's quite interesting. Because so little is actually known of Shakespeare's life, the book is a reconstruction of the Elizabethan era, and how Shakespeare's plays and other writings may show some details of his history. Speculative, certainly, but interesting nonetheless.

I think that's going to be it for now. I'm getting tired, and will probably go off to bed soon.

NP: Pete Townshend, "Song Is Over," from Lifehouse Demos

No comments: