02 October 2005

Writing Process

Yesterday, I talked about writing a new song, based on the idea that some people just can't stand being alone at all. They'd rather be in a bad relationship than no relationship at all.

Tonight, I took my first real stab at the poem/lyrics. I tend to fall into an A-B-C-B rhyme scheme fairly easily, and I didn't fight it tonight. What follows is a first pass rough draft at writing this. I don't know if I like it yet, but getting the ideas down on paper will get the ideas started. Here it is:

The moment you enter my life
Is the moment I know I'm complete
Our life and love magnify
I'm ready to come in from the street.

And when you finally turn on me
Like I knew you would always do
In a moment I've found the next one
The next one I'm certain is true

I want someone to complete me
Or at least to take up my time
With you I've got half the deal
I know you really don't mind

I give you all that I have
As much as I'll give to the next
You know that I'll love you truly
As much as I loved all the rest

I have this need inside me
I can never be left alone
As much as I can love you
My heart's really only on loan.

Copyright 2005 Mike Lord-Mars Central

Already, even typing this out, I have some ideas for revision, but I'll keep those to myself for now. It's a little sing-songy, but it's not bad for 10 minutes of work.

This is also the first time that I've written words with music on in the background. I didn't think that it would be good, but I could actually tune out the stimulus of the music pretty easily.

I'll keep you posted on the progress of this song as it develops. I'd like to have a stable set of lyrics in the next few days, perhaps by the weekend. By then, I may have some chords to go along with the words.

In other non-music related comments, my present reading is Will In The World, a biography of Shakespeare. It's fascinating to read a biography about someone we don't really know much about. There's a lot more about the context of the times than about Shakespeare's particular life right now, but I'm only 40 pages into it. Perhaps that will change as I get deeper into it. However, there aren't a lot of primary sources about Shakespeare's life from his era. It'll be a good interesting read, I'm sure.

Soon, it'll be off to bed for me.

NP: Radiohead, Climbing Up The Walls

1 comment:

Jen said...

I like the song so far and the concept behind it. Great to be kept up on what you are doing.

Jen Minson