23 November 2005

Almost Thanksgiving...

Ah, the last day of work until Monday was today. Although, I think I'm going to go into my office on Friday and try to blow through some student staff evaluations I have to write. I dislike writing evaluations, so I want to rip the bandage off all at once, and get them done, so it's not water torture, doing some on one day, another the next, and never really getting them done in a quick way. So, I'll sacrifice a few hours on Friday. Sue's going for an eye appointment, so I'll do it then. It's less like real work when no one else is around, and I'll crank some music up.

Speaking of music, this weekend I'm going to try some experiments in getting some musical ideas down. I want to write a big stupid rock song, just for the fun of it, so that might be my next recording. Tomorrow or Friday, I'll do a mixdown of my most recent demo, and put it up on my website for your perusal.

Thanksgiving is going to be spent at the apartment/home of the director of our little division of ORL at Dartmouth, Deborah, and her partner Chelsea. It'll be fun, and it's nice to be a bit social even if it's not with family. Sue and I will be down in NJ around Christmas, so we'll do all the family stuff then.

My current reading is Volume 1 of the Babylon 5 scripts of Joe Straczynski, the creator and main writer for the show. Babylon 5 was a 5 year story told from 1992-1998 on syndicated television, an epic tale of rising empires, falling civilizations, and the individuals who are key in the events of their age. A great story, told well. The scripts are fun to read, to see what goes into making a show of this scope, where foreshadowing during the first season pays off in the 4th and 5th seasons. And, it's a quick read also. Next up may be Neil Gaiman's new book, but we shall see what I'm in the mood for.

NP: Robert Fripp and the League of Crafty Guitarists, A Connecticut Yankee in the Court of King Arthur

No comments: