12 March 2006

Horror!

On Friday, I went with a few people (Meg, Sarah, Brian, and Laura, to be precise) to see "The Hills Have Eyes" at one of the local theaters. I wanted to write up the evening when I got home, but there was a blogger issue, and it wouldn't let me write a post. So, here we are, a little delayed.

The movie itself was actually better than I thought it would be. It was much more about suspense than just blood and gore (although there was enough of that to satisfy the blood lust of the audience). The characters actually had a little bit of life to them, although my prediction for the first one to go ended up being the "hero" of the movie. I would like there to be a bit less "lets have one of our major characters in the shot, and have someone run between them and the camera to show they're being stalked" set ups in these kind of movies. There are plenty of other ways to show someone being watched, that I think are actually creepier. Like seeing a head poke up from a rock, watching someone, and then dropping out of sight. Stuff that you may not catch as a movie viewer the first time you see it...

All critiques aside about style, it was enjoyable, and I didn't think I wasted my money, like I did with "Hostel," which was *horrible!* I should see the original "The Hills Have Eyes," to see how similar this one is to the first one.

On Saturday, Sue and I went out to Margarita's for her birthday dinner. Margarita's is a chain of Mexican restaurants up here in New England, although I haven't seen anyone working there who actually looks Mexican. It's okay food, but for more authentic local Mexican, I'll stick with Guzano's, a new local place that just opened up a few months ago. I had my traditional Mexican fare of steak/chicken fajitas. Good, but not like The Border, in Harvard Square....

Today my excitement was going out to buy shoe polish.

See you later!

No comments: