04 July 2006

Fireworks!

Fourth of July! Yeah!

However, no fireworks seen by me tonight, although I heard some in the distance about an hour or so ago. I enjoy a good fireworks show, but unless it's a really good one, it's always a bit anticlimatic to me.

When I was a little kid, I really didn't like fireworks. The noise bothered me. I remember going with family to see 4th of July fireworks shows at the boardwalk in Asbury Park, and keeping fingers in my ears and my eyes closed. Part of it might have also been people making a big deal out of the shows, so I just didn't want to show interest. But initially, I think it was fear more than anything else, those loud booms!

Living in Boston till about 1996, I really got spoiled with fireworks, the shows there were so good, on the Charles River. I'd go with friends from college, and hang out most of the day on the Cambridge side, having fun till nightfall and the start of the show. They'd always end with those loud blasts, that would light up the sky like it was almost daylight. The first time I saw it, it was almost overwhelming because there were so many going off at once, and the blasts were so bright. After that first one, I never thought the later shows matched the intensity of that first time, but I'm guessing that's more about perception than reality.

Of course, we're just a few days too late to see the NYC shows, so we'll have to wait until next year. I saw a bit of it on TV tonight, but watching fireworks on television just isn't the same...

And as per Lou's comment on the wrestling matches basically being science fiction themselves, in my blog below, I think that's as good a reason as any!

NP: Spirits Burning - Red

No comments: