07 July 2006

Jersey!

I arrived in NJ yesterday, after a MUCH longer drive than it should have been. For those of you in the know, you know that driving from Hanover, New Hampshire, to Jersey City, NJ should take about 4.5 hours, if there's no traffic.

For most of the drive, there was no traffic. I was having smooth sailing, and life was good.

However, at about 2:30-3pm, Interstate 95 started being backed up. And when I say backed up, I mean it was slow to the point of being totally stopped for periods of time. However, this first backup cleared up after about 20-30 minutes.

Then, the slamming began.

I think it was about Exit 10 in New York, where traffic was slowed like it was before, except even worse. It felt like I was actually in reverse for part of it.

Also, did you realize that Interstate 95, one of the main superhighways in the US, actually narrows down to ONE LANE at one point in the approach to New York City? Incredible.

Anyway, I had left Hanover at 11:35am or so yesterday. I arrived at the parking lot here at St. Peter's at 7:26pm. The drive that should have been 4.5 hours ended up being a bit shy of 8 hours.

Upon arrival, I gave the Director here a buzz. I was concerned that they were a bit worried about me, since I had e-mailed before I left that I should be arriving around 4ish, the Traffic Gods willing. Needless to say, there was much sympathy expressed about my travelling issues. But, that's in the past now, and my arrival couldn't have been nicer. Besides Carla, the Director, a number of other people were there to help unload my car. These people include Sara (one of the people I'll be supervising), Mike (an Operations person, if I remember my job responsibility breakdown correctly), and John, one of the Resident Assistants here, and who was one of the student interviewers when I was here back in early June. With their help, we unloaded my car in about 10-15 minutes, I think...

Once everything was in, we went out to dinner at a local Appleby's. (Am I spelling that right? I'm not sure...) First though, I called Sue to let her know that I got in okay. She had just gotten in from work a bit of time ago, and was shocked to hear that I had just gotten in... But, all was well, and today's her last day at work. Hopefully her travels on Sunday will be better than mine from yesterday!

For dinner, we were joined by two other students, and a former employee of the College. One of the students was named Brian, and I'm blanking on the names of the other two people. Horrible, I know...

Then, after dinner, I came back to the apartment (probably around 10ish), and started putting some stuff away, at least temporarily. Permanent decisions will have to wait for Sue's arrival.

I'll be posting some photos of the place up here soon. I've been trying to do it with this post, but they're not showing for some reason. Once I figure out the problem, they'll be right up here...

NP: Pink Floyd - Fearless

No comments: