03 July 2006

Zone!

So, Sci-Fi Channel is having a Twilight Zone marathon. I think they do it most every Fourth of July, and in its own way, I really do think showing this show is a celebration of freedom. Freedom of thought, and to make people think about issues that are beyond themselves.

Sure, many of the episodes are "spooky," or that traditional "wow, that's weird" ending. However, many of them are critical looks at government, society, religion, just about anything that's worth thinking about.

I watched the Twilight Zone often as a kid, and I think that for storytelling, great writing, and to think about "big issues," it's a great show for young people to watch. I'll also include the original Star Trek in that category, with the added benefit in Star Trek of having a regular cast of characters for people to identify with.

Of course, I watched the Love Boat as a kid also, so not everything has to be educational...

In other news, I hung out with some work people today, ate lunch (courtesy of CD Dan, thanks!), talked to some students, and went out to eat with Sue to Molly's, one of our favorite places to eat in Hanover. All in all, a very good day.

Tomorrow, we have no real plans. There's some stuff happening in town in the late morning that I/we may walk on down to, and I may do some packing of some of our final items. That'll also happen on Wednesday, as the movers are coming on Thursday.

I also got some good news about the move today, it's going to be cheaper than I expected. That's always a good thing!

Back to Twilight Zone now...

NP: Of course, the Twilight Zone...

No comments: