07 January 2007

Dime!




What's so special about that dime! Well, I got it as part of my change from Chinese food tonight (Orange Flavored Chicken and Fried Chicken dumplings, thank you very much Peking No. 1!), and it's from 1961.



Those coin collectors out there know what's special about dimes (and quarters) from 1964 and before. Can anyone tell me what it is? Comment below...



I noted this coin when I went to put it in our little piggy bank we got as a wedding gift (thanks Bill!), the reverse side was a bit more worn than usual, and didn't look like a regular dime.



In other news, I've been trying to get rid of some stuff that I have, that I don't really need anymore. This item was one of those things:



This is an old message board I had back in BC. Friends into chemistry wrote the equation/molecule on the board, and some of the other messages. I just liked it, so I always stuck it on whatever fridge or microwave I had in whatever apartment I was living in at the time.

Looking around, I realize I don't really need this anymore, so I took a picture to memorialize it, and now, it's somewhere in the trash. A bit sad, but not the end of the world.

In the weeding category, I have a bunch of CDs listed on E-Bay now. I've thought about doing what Queenie does with the home postage pickup and all that, but living where I do, that's a bit impractical. And when the post office cash registers don't crash, I actually kind of enjoy the social aspect of the post office. It's one of those places where pretty much everyone has to go, and you see a lot of interesting human dynamics while there.

But, in the E-bay world (which is where I was going with this in the first place), I have 33 items listed, and 3 have bids on them already. I expect one of the CDs to go for about $50, which will be a nice chunk of change to throw at my credit card, as we're on the tail end of paying off my car repair from November. Any bit helps. That's why I pick up loose change (even pennies) when I see them. I figure, I'm a penny richer, and those do accumulate over time. Not much, but they do.

Really.

While flipping channels today, I came across a program on Rome on The History Channel. And oddly, actor Peter Weller of Robocop/Buckaroo Banzai fame (a movie I never really clicked with) was not the narrator of the program, but was actually a cited expert during the course of the show!

This surprised me, so I checked his listing on the Internet Movie Database, and sure enough, Weller has a Masters in Roman and Renaissance Art, and is working towards a PhD. And, he's still acting!

It was a weird moment, where I was like, "Peter Weller?! Expert on Rome???" Perhaps it was a switch to an alternate universe, where Weller was never an actor, but was actually a Roman expert. Would have been cool.

Got a haircut today. Not as short as Mr. Brian, but it's much neater than it was. I'm also just combing it all straight back now, as the hair's getting a bit thin on top, and parting it on the right or left is beginning to feel a bit too much like a combover for my liking. I'll get a self-portrait tomorrow, and perhaps post it up here.

NP: Riabinouchka - The Stars of St. Petersburg

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peter Weller, an expert on Rome. That is kind of funny. And I've actually been taking stock, and I may have some more stuff to sell on ebay. As you say, every little bit helps.

Louie said...

Dude... I remember that whiteboard. I seem to remember writing something on there once, but nothing looks like my handwriting. You should just frame the thing and call it modern art.