22 January 2008

A January Post...

Okay, okay, I know I've been lazy in blogging here... It's been busy, so sue me!

What have I been up to? Lets see, since the new year, I've been busy with Resident Assistant Winter Training, getting that ready; working on the Genesis website, which continues apace; trying to have free time with Sue, which is going well; relaxing when possible, which I have to build in more time to do; and all sorts of other things, which I'll talk about when I remember them!

Here's some random stuff, to entertain and educate you...

This past weekend, I saw the movie Johnny Dangerously for the first time. I have the feeling that it was a lot funnier back in the day when it came out. As I said to Sue (who rented it to relive her comedy youth), "When Joe Piscopo is the best thing about a movie, you know you're in trouble!" And Joe was really good in it, with generally weak material. I found myself saying in my head a lot, "that's funny," but never really laughing. It was like watching a movie that had all the ingredients to be a riot, but it just never quite got there...

I also don't know if I bought Michael Keaton as the lead comedy guy in the movie, he seemed stilted and unfunny throughout most of the film...

But, I did go to see "Cloverfield," which was quite good, albeit formulaic in places. I'm a sucker for monster movies, so having a big beastie rampaging through NYC was quite good. The first person telling of the story worked for me, and I thought there were some clever turns in the plot, although I thought the "love" story in it was a bit preditable. Alas, such is life...

All in all though, I'd recommend it, and I think it would stand up to repeated viewings, unlike the first person "Blair Witch Project" movie from a few years back.

On Sunday, Sue and I went to go see "The WaterHorse," a fine kids movie about a boy who discovers the egg to the Loch Ness monster during WWII. I enjoyed it, as it tugged at the heartstrings in an appropriate, but not manipulative way. The kids in the theater seemed to like it too, as I heard sniffles at the right places. Or, were those mine?

Yesterday, Sue and I watched all of the "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" DVDs that Brian gave to me for Christmas. Great show, very funny, although digesting them all in one afternoon may have been a bit much. But, they're addictive. The group of four younger folk who the show follows are appropriately stupid/clever/funny in the right spots, and I liked the irony of one of the lead characters being bombarded with eggs outside of an abortion protest.

I'm sure I have more to say, but I'll write more again soon, I promise. Really!

NP: ELP - Rondo (9 Dec 1970)

No comments: