14 February 2006

Exsanguination


I gave blood today, and here's a photo of me!

I was doing something called a "Double Red Cell" donation, which takes one pint of blood, centerfuges it, and then puts the plasma (?) back in your arm. Then, you give another pint.

It's pretty straightforward, although your arm does get chilly, because the stuff coming back inside has dropped in temperature while outside of your body. Pretty neat!

Then, on the way to Gerry to check mail and get some paperwork prepared, I took some photos of the Snow Sculpture on the Green. This is something that happens each Winter Carnival. Here are some photos of that:

This is the sculpture from a distance. It's a big D, sloped downwards like a bobsled run, with Calvin and Hobbes, the cartoon characters, sliding downwards in a bobsled on the run. Supposedly, since it's a temporary structure, Bill Waterson gave permission to use the characters. Generally, from what I understand, he's pretty protective of the use of his characters, which is understandable seeing how many bootleg t-shirts the characters appear on.

Here's another photo, closer up....

And here's one of Calvin and Hobbes, closer up.

And a photo from Inside The Sculpture!

When I got off work, I was sleepy from the blood donation, and ended up napping until about 9pm or so. Of course, now we'll have to see when I actually get tired enough to sleep again...

To close, here's a photo that I took last night, before going bowling. It's a double exposure, I was experimenting with nighttime photos. Pretty cool looking, I think...

NP: Brian Setzer Orchestra: A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square

2 comments:

cabinboy said...

Heckuva way to spend Black Tuesday. Can they put something new and cool back in w the plasma? Chocolate syrup? Microscopic submarine? Tracking device? Military grade nannites?

Do let me know what sort of super powers you develop, or perhaps animal characteristics, which may or may not be super powerful. I mean, getting the strength of a spider is different from getting the RELATIVE strength of a spider...

I ramble.

Was spooked, but not really surprised, I guess =) at seeing that you'd dubbed your V.Day entry "Exsanguination," just after I'd typed out the very same word in some babbling of my own regarding my Black Tuesday hohumdom.

zorknapp said...

I think they did put a little submarine into the blood... My own Fantastic Voyage...

And the whole Exsanguination thing, again, not surprising with the whole shared brain thing...