16 February 2006

Trio!

Tonight, over in East Wheelock's "White House," I attended a dinner program with the Newstead Trio, a chamber group out of Pennsylvania, made up of a pianist, a cellist, and a violinist. Great stuff, they did some Dvorak, some Chinese folk songs (one of which reminded me obliquely of King Crimson's "Trio," from Starless and Bible Black), and a Mendelsohn piece.

I got to talk at length with the pianist of the group, a guy who was born in China, and has spent the last 16 years in the US. A very good guy, willing to talk about music, but also about whatever else would come up. I talked to the other two members of the trio also, but not to the same length as with the pianist.

Other than that, it was a quite normal work day. The oddity of New Hampshire right now is the unseasonably warm temperatures. I think it may have been in the 60's today, and there hasn't been any appreciable snow on the ground since perhaps mid-January. I keep thinking we're going to get the "big storm," but it just hasn't happened.

Today was actually the start of my weekend, as I'm taking a day off of work tomorrow, just for the fun of it. I have a lot of days to use up by the end of June, so taking a day now isn't a bad idea. My main goals for this weekend include spending good time with Sue, working on updating genealogy, finishing recording the song I'm working on, completing the book I'm reading (Darwin's Children, by Greg Bear), and cleaning the apartment.

NP: Trey Gunn; Arrakis

No comments: